Idli (ఇడ్లీ, இட்லி, इडली) Idly is a south Indian savory cake popular throughout India. The cakes are usually two to three inches in diameter and are made by steaming a batter consisting of fermented black lentils (de-husked) and cream of rice or idlirava.It is very healthy , easy to digest and every one can enjoy this at any time , mostly it is taken as breakfast as such , with chutney/podi/sambar.
Regional Dish : Kerala; Andhra pradesh; Tamil Nadu; Karnataka; South India
Cuisine Style : Kerala | Cooking Time 20 minutes | Take with sambar or chutney | Type Breakfast | Shelf Life : half day |Quantity: 6 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1 serving (2nos)
Calories (220 Kcal), Carbohydrates (30 g), Protein (4.6 g), Fat (0.3 g).
- Cream of rice /idli rava 2 cups
- Urad Dal (white) 1 cup
- Salt 1 1/2 tsp
- Oil for greasing
- Ghee (optional)
1. Wash and soak the dal overnight or for 8 hours.
2. Wash idli rava and squeeze excess water and set aside .
3. Grind the daal into a smooth and forthy batter in wet grinder.
4. Now mix the Dal batter, washed idli rava, salt and set aside in a warm place for 8-9 hours or overnight for fermenting.
5. Idli batter is ready to be cooked.
6. Grease the idle plates well and fill each of them with 3/4th full of batter.
8. Steam cook idlis on medium flame for about 10 minutes or until done.
9. Use a butter knife to remove the idlis.
10. Serve them hot with ghee topped idli with sambar or chutney or idli powder.
Note : Medhu Idli is prepared with Idli rice instead of idli rava .
The idli rice of 2 cups to 1 cup of urad dal is soaked separately and grind ed separately but to a coarse texture and mixed with urad dal batter
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Rava Idly,idli’s made with fenugreek seeds, vegetable idli, mavidli, mini idli, medu idli