Hummus ( हामास)Hummus , It is chickpea / garbanzo beans dip or spread , which is staple in middle east cuisine.It is rich in proteins, good fat, iron and fiber. It is very much vegan too , it can be enjoyed with any food as a spread that is from pita bread, pita chips , corn chips, on a bread , bet burgers , as a veggie roll , as dip with fresh vegetables such as carrots , celery and pretzels ; the combinations are endless as it can fit in to any cuisine from around the world.
Regional Dish: Middle East
Cuisine Style: Mediterranean | Cooking Time 15 mins | Take it with falafel/ pita bread | Type Dip/Spread | Quantity 10 servings| Shelf Life : 1 week if refrigerated
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving (2tbs)
Calories (54kcals), Carbohydrates (6g), Protein (1.4g), Fat (2.3g)
- 1 cup Chick peas or garbanzo beans ( wash and soak in water for overnight )
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tbs salt ( adjust to taste))
- 5 tbs Tahini paste
- 2 tbs lemon juice ( adjust to taste)
- 2tbs olive oil to garnish
- 1tbs finely chopped cilantro to garnish
- Chili powder to garnish
- Wash the chick peas/ garbanzo beans again and cook to soft consistency or can use 1 can chick peas to cut down the process.
- Drain the water, add chick peas, tahini paste, salt, lemon juice, crushed garlic in to a smooth paste; if needed we can add some water and check for the taste.
- Then take out in to a bowl , make a indentation in center , fill it with olive oil and garnish with cilantro and chili powder.
Variations: Add some cumin powder , Adding avocado , Adding plain yogurt , Adding some green chilies ,Adding some roasted red bell peppers , Garnish with pine nuts, Garnish with sesame seeds.