Hot and Sour Tofu Soup is an authentic Chinese version that will warm your heart and your palate . On any cold winter evenings or when you r suffering from cold, this soup soothes the throat.
Regional Dish: China
Cuisine Style: International | Preparation Time: 30 mins | Take it as such | Type: Meal | Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 4 servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (110Kcals), Carbohydrates (10.1g), Protein (8.6g), Fat (4.1g).
- (14-ounce) package firm water-packed tofu
- 1 (1/2-ounce) package dried sliced shiitake mushrooms these gives nice flavor, you can also replace this with regular white fresh mushrooms.
- 4 cups low sodium vegetarian broth or water
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons less-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup canned sliced bamboo shoots, drained and cut into julienne strips
- 1/2 cup thinly diagonally sliced green onion tops
- Drain water from tofu and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a saucepan; remove from heat. Stir in mushrooms; let stand 30 minutes.
- To the above mixture, Stir in broth and next 6 ingredients (through garlic); bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine 1/4 cup water and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Stir cornstarch mixture, tofu, and bamboo shoots into broth mixture; bring to a boil.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally; remove from heat.
- Sprinkle green onions and serve hot.
Variations: Add vegetables like carrot, chives, water chestnuts, baby corns. Add red chili paste, Add chili sauce , Add a beaten egg.