Horchata (होरचाटा ,హొరుచట) Horchata is a traditional drink commonly served in Spain, Ecuador, El Salvador, Honduras and Mexico. Depending on the region, it may be made with sesame seeds, rice, tiger nuts, barley, fruits , cinnamon, vanilla and sugar..
The perfect nonalcoholic summer drink, horchatas are simple to make at home from a variety of easy-to-find ingredients. Try also these thirst quenching thick and creamy dessert-like version made from rice and condensed milk, a barely-sweet and incomparably cooling cantaloupe seed variety, a velvety-smooth apricot and rice elixir and Berry blast and many more , create your own version of horchata and enjoy.
Regional Dish: Mexico
Cuisine Style: Mexican| Cooking time 15 minutes| Take as such | Type Soft Drink | Shelf life 2 days if refrigerated
Appx Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving (1 glass):
Calories ( 95.9 Kcals) , Carbohydrates (24.1g), Protein ( 0.9 g), Fat ( 1.1g)
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 cup raw rice
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon or almond flavoring
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 a cup of blanched almonds
- Take 1 cup of rice ; wash and soak them along ½ cup of blanched almonds in 5 cups of water over night for best Horchata or at least 5 hours.
- Add rice and almond mixture to blender along vanilla, cinnamon, sugar, milk and blend them in to a puree.
- Strain the puree through cheesecloth or a fine sieve into a pitcher ,
- Chill this concoction , stir the horchata well before serving.
- Pour into a ice filled glass,; garnish with cinnamon sticks and a dusting of ground cinnamon.
Variation: 1.Horchata made using Rice flour,2. Horchata made using Milk made,3. Horchata with out almonds, 4. Horchata using agave nectar or splenda instead suguar, 5.Horchata using cantaloupe or water melon seeds , 6.Horchata using fruit as blends.