Holige Saaru (पूरन रसम, ಪೂರಣ್ ರಸಂ) Holige Saaru is (in Kannada language) For this the hoorna ( sweet lentil and jaggery stuffing) is used . This is usually prepared on festive days when hoorna is prepared for making obbattu.
This saaaru/rasam is very much different , it is unique as it has different tastes like sweet, tangy and nutty flavors blended well.
Regional Dish : Karnataka , AndhraPradesh, Tamilnadu, Maharastra
Cusian Style : Karnataka | Cooking Time 25 mins | Take with rice | Type Soup | Shelf Life : 1 day |Quantity : 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1 serving ( 1 cup )
Calories (60 Kcal), Carbohydrates (8.0 g), Protein (1.6 g), Fat (0.8 g).
- 1/3 cup Hoorna(sweet chanadal and jaggery stuffing /puran )
- small lemon sized Tamarind or 3 tbsp Tamarind pulp
- 3 tbsp grated fresh coconut
- 1 tbsp finely chopped Coriander
- 2 tsp Sambar/Rasam powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 red chille broken in to pieces
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- a sprig of curry leaves
- a pinch of Asafoetida
- Add 2 cups of water to the hoorna and mix well and boil the mixture.
- Once it comes to a boil add grated coconut,chopped,oriander,sambar/rasam powder,tamarind pulp,turmeric powder and enough salt and mix well.Let it come to a boil.
- Adjust the seasoning according to your taste buds.In case you need to add more water or tamarind or salt or sambar powder,This would be sweet,spicy and tangy at the same time,a perfect blend of flavors.
- Mean while heat ghee in a small tadka pan and crackle mustard seeds, cumin seeds , red chille, add curry leaves and hing and fry for few seconds and add this tadka to the boiling rasam and boil for 1 minute and switch off the flame and keep it covered.
- Serve it hot with plain hot rice and some vegetable fry and papad
Note: We can add some tomatoes too.
No comments yet.