Handvo (હાંડવો, ஹன்ட்வோ, हांडावा) Handvo (Lentil cake) is the traditional Gujarati savory cake .
Regional Dish: Gujarat; NorthIndia.
Cuisine Style: Gujarat | Prep Time: 30mins | Cook Time: 30mins | Take with pickle|Type Snack| Shelf Life: 2 days if refrigerated | Quantity: 5 Servings
Appx.Nutrition values : Calculated for 1 serving ( 2 nos)
Calories (153 kcal) , Carbohydrate (20.57g ), Protein (3g), Fat (5.35g).
- 2 cups rice
- 1 cup toovar (arhar) dal
- 1/4 cup urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1/4 cup moong dal (split green gram)
- 1/4 cup chana dal (split Bengal gram)
- 1 cup sour curds (khatta dahi)
- 2 1/2 cups grated bottle gourd (doodhi / lauki)
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp soda- bi-carb
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 3 tbsp green chilli-ginger paste
- salt to taste
For the tempering
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp caraway seeds (ajwain)
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 4 tbsp oil
- Wash and soak the rice and dals together for 4 to 5 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Grind to a paste, add the sour curds and allow to ferment overnight.
- Add the grated pumpkin, 4 tablespoons of oil, lemon juice, soda bi-carb, sugar, chilli powder, turmeric powder, green chilli-ginger paste and salt and mix well.
- Pour this batter into a greased tin or a thali.
- Four the tempering, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds and fry until they crackle. Add the sesame seeds, ajwain and asafoetida and continue to fry. When the sesame seeds are golden in colour, pour this over the batter.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degree C (400 degree F) for 30 to 35 minutes till the crust is golden brown.
Other Varients / Cuisine Style:handwa