Haleem (हलीम) is a thick stew mainly made with meat or chicken, lentils, wheat, barley and spices . This dish is slow cooked for several hours. Haleem is a high calorie nutritious dish , excellent source of fiber and protein. It can be called as one pot meal.This dish is specially prepared during Ramadan month and is enjoyed in the evening, it is the best food to break fasting ( iftar)as it is highly nutritious and easily digested and absorbed by the body , gives instant energy. In Andhra Pradesh (Hyderabad) during the ramadan month , huge stalls prepare Haleem from morning to evening and sell in the evening at every nook and corner . Now a days apart from Muslim community, all other Indian’s enjoy this dish all through the month. It is one of the best and healthy snack item too.
Regional Dish: Kashmir, Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Bengal, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Middle -East.
Cuisine Style: Andhra Pradesh| Cooking Time 2 hrs | Take it as Such| Type Meal| Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity : 8 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (380Kcal), Carbohydrates (29.5g), Protein (27.9g), Fat (18g)
- Mutton or chicken (small pieces with bones) 1 kg
- Whole wheat 250gms.
- Barley whole 100gms.
- Channa Dal ( split chickpeas) 100 gms.
- Moong Dal ( split green gram) 100 gms.
- Masoor Dal ( red lentil) 100 gms.
- Urad Dal ( washed white lentil) 100gms.
- Rose peteals ( fresh/ dry ) 1 cup ( optional ) But if added gives a different flavor
- Whole Pepper corns 1 + 1 tbsp.
- Whole cardamom 1+ 1 tbsp.
- Cloves 1+1 tbsp.
- Cinnamon 2 inch stick + 2 inch stick
- Sesame seeds 2 tbsp.
- Cumin 2 tbsp.
- Shahi Jeera 2 tbsp.
- Ginger Garlic paste 3 tbsp.
- Green chillies 5 to 6 nos.
- Turmeric 1tsp.
- Salt as needed
- Onion 1 sliced
- Fried onions 1 cup.
- Clarified butter ( ghee) 1 ½ cup
- Lemon wedges to serve 8 to 10
- Fresh Coriander Leaves and mint leaves 2 tbsp. to garnish.
- Shredded ginger 1 tbsp. to garnish.
- Chopped green chilies 1 tbsp. to garnish.
- Take a pan , add 1 tbsp. ghee and to this add 1 tbsp. each of pepper, cardamom, cloves, 2 inch stick of cinnamon, 2 tbsp. of sesame seeds and roast them.
- To this add wheat, barley, channa dal, moong dal , urad dal and fry till they change color, than take them off the heat and allow it cool , once cooled grind them to coarse powder.
- Pressure cook the above prepared lentil ( coarse powder ) with 3 to 4 cups of water for 1 whistle , and then on low flame cook it for 30 minutes.
- Take another pressure cooker and add 2 tbsp. of ghee , to this add 1 tbsp. of pepper, cardamom, cloves, 2 inch stick of cinnamon, Cumin, Shahi jeera, ginger garlic paste and fry for 2 minutes then add sliced onion, green chilies, turmeric, salt and meat and cook for 5 minutes , then to this add water till the meat is covered and pressure cook for 1 whistle and then low the flame and cook for 1 hour.
- Now after 30 minutes of cooking lentil mixture and 1 hr cooking of meat , combine both and use a potato masher or wooden masher and mash the mixture for at least 15 minutes. This is a bit tedious but the haleem comes out delicious. At this point check the seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Add the left over ghee and keep mashing well. At this point we can add rose petals( optional). After 15 minutes add half the fried onions and take required amount into a serving bowl, top it with some more fried onions, lemon wedge and ginger, chilies , chopped coriander and mint leaves. Vola our nutritious and delicious haleem is ready to be enjoyed at any time.
Note: If using whole mutton, then after cooking the meat , when mashing take out the bones so that the haleem is soft and mushy.
Variations: Add some Rice. Add red chili powder. Add soaked dal. Add garam masala powder instead of whole spices.Add some fried nuts on top to garnish.