Haldi ki Subji (हल्दी की सब्जी) Traditionally Rajasthani Fresh Turmeric curry. Fresh turmeric (looks like ginger) is a rhizome. As we use it in dry , powdered form in every Indian food which a part from giving color is also antiseptic in nature is consumed in fresh form, It becomes a vegetable as a curry , as a pickle in Rajasthani menu.
Below are two sorted once that can be made and enjoyed by any one.
Regional Dish: Rajasthan
Cuisine Style: Rajasthan | Cooking Time 30 mins | Take it with roti/ rice | Type Curry| Shelf Life : 10 days| Quantity : 12 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (45 Kcal), Carbohydrates (9 g), Protein (0.2g), Fat (3 g).
- Raw Turmeric pieces 2 cups (Haldi)
- Green chillies 4 nos
- Red chilli powder 3 teaspoons
- Dried Coriander powder 3 teaspoons
- Aniseed /saunf powder 2 teaspoons (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Asafoetida a pinch
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- Curd 3 cups
- Ghee/clarified unsalted butter 3/4 cup
- Wash Raw Haldi thoroughly & pat dry.
- Peel & grate haldi. Keep aside.
- Wash & chop green chilies.
- In a large mixing bowl, add curd & green chilies to grated haldi. Add red chili powder, dry coriander seeds powder, aniseed powder & salt. Mix well. Allow haldi to marinade in curd mixture for half an hour.
- Heat ghee in a wok. Add cumin seeds & allow to splutter. Add Asafoetida and the haldi – curd mixture to ghee & cook for half an hour in slow flame.
- The haldi ki sabji is ready. Serve with jowar roti, missi roti, Bajra roti, tandoori roti, phulka, parantha,or even with steamed rice.
- Refrigerate & consume within seven days.
- Raw Haldi pieces 2 cups
- Garlic 10 pods
- Red chili powder 3 teaspoons
- Amchur/dry mango powder 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Ghee 1/2 cup
- Wash haldi & pat dry. Peel & dice into small cubes. Transfer haldi into a small bowl ( that can fit inside a pressure cooker)
- Add a glass of water to a pressure cooker. Turn on the gas. When the water begins to boil, slow down the flame & carefully place the bowl inside the pressure cooker. cover the bowl with a lid.(so that the water does not enter the bowl). Cover the pressure cooker with the lid & whistle twice. Turn off the gas. Carefully take out the bowl when the pressure is released & the mixture cools down. Uncover & keep aside.
- Peel & chop garlic.
- Heat ghee in a karahi / wok. Add cumin seeds & allow to splutter.
- Add garlic & cook till golden brown in colour. Add haldi, red chili powder & salt. Mix well & cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add amchur powder & mix well. Turn off the flame.
- The Haldi ki sabji is ready. Serve with phulka, Parantha or any bread of your choice.
- Refrigerate & consume within 7 days