Gutti Kakarakaya (ഗുട്ടി കൈപക്ക, గుత్తి కాకరకాయ, திணித்து வைக்கப்பட்ட பாவக்காய், भरवां करेला) The roasting process intensifies the flavor of the stuffing while charring and softening the bitter gourds. The unmistakable bitterness of kakarakaya is balanced with the spiced, tangy-sweet stuffing comprising of onions, garlic, jaggery, tamarind and red chilies.
Regional Dish : Andhra; Tamil Nadu; Karnataka; South and some places in North India, East and West India .
Cuisine Style : South India| Cooking Time 35 minutes | Take with rice | Type Curry | Shelf Life : 2 days if it refrigerated | Quantity : 3 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1 serving (2nos of bittergourd)
Calories (80 Kcal), Carbohydrates (15 g), Protein (4 g), Fat (2 g).
- Tender bitter gourds 6-8(make a slit length wise and remove the seeds)
- Small lemon sized tamarind extract pulp
For stuffing :
- Large onion 1 sliced
- Garlic cloves 4-5
- Red chilli pwd 1 tspCumin powder 1/4 tsp
- Pinch of roasted methi pwd
- Coriander pwd 1 1/2 tsp
- Grated jaggery or sugar (adjust) 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
For poppu/tadka/seasoning :
- Oil 1 1/4 tbsps
- Methi( fenugreek )seeds 1/4 tsp
- A sprig of curry leaves
- In a vessel, add 1/4 cup buttermilk, pinch of salt and 1/2 tsp turmeric pwd and combine. Place the partially slit whole bitter gourd in this mixture for 10-15 minutes. Remove any trace of liquid off the bitter gourds. Keep aside.
- Prepare the stuffing by heating a tsp oil in a cooking vessel, add garlic saute for a few seconds. Add the sliced onions and saute till rawness disappears. Approx 4 minutes. Keep aside to cool.
- Once cool, make a coarse paste. Remove the paste into bowl, add salt to taste, red chilli powder, jaggery, coriander powder, cumin powder and methi powder. Combine well and stuff the bitter gourds with this paste.
- Add the remaining oil in a vessel, add curry leaves and toss them for a few seconds. Add the methi seeds and let them turn brown. Place the stuffed bitter gourds in the oil along with any left over stuffing and cook on medium high flame for 2 minutes. Now, cover with lid and let them cook on medium low flame for 15 minutes. Keep checking in between and stir fry to ensure they don’t burn or stick to the pan.
- Add the tamarind extract along 1/4 cup of water. Reduce flame and place lid and cook over low flame for another 10-12 minutes. The water content should reduce. Remove lid and cook over low flame and let the bitter gourds roast well and it appears like a dry.It should take about 8-10 minutes for them to be well roasted. Turn off heat.
- Serve with rice.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Kakarakaya Ullikaram 2. Kakarakaya Masala.