Gunta Ponganalu (గుంట పొంగనాలు, குண்ட புங்கனலு, ಗುಂಟ ಪುಂಗನಲು, गुंत पोंगानालू) Every place has given a unique name to these delicious golden fried balls like gunta ponganalu in telugu, appey/paddu in kannada and paniyaram in tamil. Its prepare with left over dosa batter, these taste better when the batter turns very sour. These balls turn out very crispy on the outer side and soft inside.This is a ideal breakfast to pack for your kids lunch box and can also be served as a snack.
Regional Dish: Andhra Pradesh; Tamilnadu; South India.
Cuisine style: Andhra Pradesh | Prep Time: 15mins | Cook Time: 15mins | Take with Pickle or chutney | Type Breakfast or Snack |Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 8 servings.
Appx.Nutritional Values:calculated for 1 serving(2nos)
Calories (160 K cal), Carbohydrates (30 g), Protein (5 g), Fat (5 g).
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander
- 3 tbsp soaked chana dal (atleast for 1 hr)
- 1 sprig of curry leaves finely chopped
- 2 tsp green chilli paste coarsely ground
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- 2 cups Idli rice
- 1/2 cup levelled urad dal
- 1/2 cup levelled rice flakes(beaten rice)
- 1/2 tsp methi/fenugreek seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Soak the rice and dal’s with fenugreek seeds separately for 4-5 hrs.Soak rice flakes in enough water for 1/2 hr.
- Grind soaked urad dal and rice flakes in wet grinder until very smooth and fluffy mixture.Remove it and keep aside.
- Now grind the rice until it is almost done, slightly coarse mixture.Mix both the mixture and add enough salt to it and let it ferment overnight.
- Add finely chopped onion,grated carrot,green chilli paste,soaked chana dal,chopped curry leaves and coriander to it and mix well.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a small tadka pan and crackle mustard seeds in it and add that to the batter and mix well.
- Heat the paniyaram/gunta panganalu pan/Aebliskever pan and add few drops of oil in it.when it is piping hot pour the batter using a table spoon until it covers 3/4 th and pour some more oil over it and cover it with a lid. Let it roast on medium flame until golden brown in color.
- After a couple of minutes using a fork or sharp knife run around the edges of each paniyaram and turn to the other side and roast until golden brown on both the sides
Other Varients / Cuisine Style: Ponganalu with sarapappu, salt appam