Gummadikaya Pulusu (കുള്ളം ക്ലേശിക്കുക, பரங்கிக்காய் புலுசு, గుమ్మడికాయ పులుసు, कददू साग) Gummadikaya pulusu,Means pumpkin (stew) . pumpkin is loaded with an important antioxidant, beta-carotene. Beta-carotene is one of the plant carotids converted to vitamin A in our body.
Regional Dish : Kerala; Tamilnadu; Andhra; South and some places in North India and it is subcontinental dish.
Cuisine Style : Kerala | Cooking Time 30 minutes | Take with rice | Type Curry | Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity : 6 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values :calculated for 1 serving ( 1cup)
Calories ( 337 Kcal), Carbohydrates (28 g), Protein (25 g), Fat (7 g).
- Pumpkin 2cups , with the skin on cut into cubes
- Small onion 1 diced
- Small tomato 1 cubed
- Green chili 2 cut in to pieces (adjust accordingly)
- Tamarind size of a quarter soaked to make 2 cups of tamarind water
- Turmeric 1tsp
- Jaggery 1tbsp
- Rice flour 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves few to garnish
For Seasoning :
- Urad dal 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1 tbsp
- Hing ½ tbsp
- Curry leaves 8-10
- Red chilies 2-3
- In a pan add 2 cups tamarind water Pumpkin, onions, tomato, Green chili, salt and haldi.
- Allow it to boil until Pumpkins are fork tender.
- Now add jaggery and check for salt once again, adjust accordingly
- In a separate bowl add few drops of water to rice flour and make into a thin consistency.
- Add the above rice flour mixture to boiling pot with veggies mix well, adding rice flour which start to thicken the gravy.
- Now is a separate pan add oil and all the ingredients for seasoning, when mustard seeds start to splutter add the above to pulusu.
- Mix pulusu well and allow it to boil for another 3-4 minutes.
- Now garnish with coriander leaves .
- Serve with hot rice, ghee and papad.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1.Tamil Nadu Cuisine ( Sweet Pumpkin Curry)., 2.Pumpkin with chanadal , 3. Pumpkin pulusu with other vegetables., 4.Pumpkin stew with coconut gravy