Gummadikaya kura ( గుమ్మడికాయ కూర ,பூசணிக்காய் கறி, कद्दू पुलुसू ) in bright orange color is a dead giveaway that pumpkin is loaded with an important antioxidant, beta-carotene. A healthy tasty dish that goes well with both Indian breads and rice. Beta-carotene is one of the plant carotenoids converted to vitamin A in the body.
Regional Dish : Andhra Pradesh; Tamilnadu; South India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra Pradesh | Cooking Time 30 min | Take with rice | Type curry | Shelf Life : 1 day
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for whole recipe :
Calories (421.9 kcal), Carbohydrate (57.5 g), Protein (12.2 g), Fat (32.5 g).
- Small pumpkin 1
- Onion (sliced) 1
- Green chillies (slit) 2
- Ginger (peel and chop) 1pcs
- Tamarind pulp 4 to 5 tbsp
- Jaggery (2 to 3 tbsp approx)
- Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Water (to make pulusu) 2 to 3 cups
- Red chilli (broken) 1 pcs
- Channa dal 1 tsp
- Urad dal 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds ½ tsp
- Big pinch of hing
- Turmeric 1/4th tsp
- Oil 2 tbsp
1. Peel, clean, remove the seeds from gummadikaya and dice (medium size).
2. Heat the oil in a deep skillet on medium heat and add first 3 in the seasoning row (channa dal, urad dal, red chilli) and fry
3. A add cumin and mustard seeds once the dals starts turning into golden brown and allow them to crackle, add hing and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
4. Now add green chillies, curry leaves, ginger, turmeric and sauté for couple of minutes, now add sliced onions and fry till translucent.
5. Add the diced gummadikaya salt, jaggery, tamarind (3-4 tbsp) and cook for 3-5 minutes. Stir in water (1 ½ -2 cups) and reduce the heat to medium low and cook for 10-12 minutes the covered. Keep stirring in middle.
6. At this point the veggies will be 3/4 th cooked. At this stage adjust the seasoning if needed and water if the stew is thick. Cook for another 5-8 minutes or till done and turn of the heat.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Gumadikaya kura with peanuts, 2. Gumadikaya kura with potato.