Green chutney, usually known as hari chutney, In India is a versatile condiment that can be used in many different ways. It is best used with grilled or fried food, but now days it is used mainly as a spread and dip. This chutney is very much prepared in Northern parts of India with little variations.
One of such popular, common food that is enjoyed by every age group is green chutney sandwich. It is many times kids favorite school lunch and busy mom’s or dad’s lunch which is packed with tons of goodness, healthy and fresh and a nice serving of all the food groups.
Regional Dish: North India
Cuisine Style: North Indian | Cooking Time 15 mins| Take it as such | Type Snack| Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 2 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving
Calories (169.8Kcals), Carbohydrates (29.5g), Protein (9.2g), Fat (4.5g).
Ingredients for Chutney
- Fresh Coriander leaves 2 cups
- Fresh mint leaves ½ cup
- Grated fresh coconut 1tbsp.( optional)
- Green chilies 2 or more
- Salt as per taste
- Lemon juice 1 tbsp.
- Cumin seeds powder ½ tsp.
- Garlic pod 1 peeled.
Ingredients for Sandwich
- Bread slices of you r choice 6
- Cucumber 1
- Tomato 1
- Onion 1
- Butter as required
- Cheese slices 2
Method to make Chutney
- Wash all the leaves and drain well.
- Now mix with the rest of the ingredients and grind it to a coarse paste
- And now store it in a container which is moisture free, use this within 2 days as it taste good, looks green, fresh and healthy when enjoyed fresh, if not the vitamins get oxidizes. Refrigerate it.
Method to make Sandwich
- Cut cucumber, onion and tomato in to thin circular slices.
- Now take a bread slice and apply a good layer of green chutney and on top of it layer cucumber slices.
- Now take another bread slice apply a good amount of butter and top this side on to cucumber slices.
- On top of this add a cheese slice followed by tomatoes and onions.
- Take another slice of bread and apply good amount of butter and this side to the top of tomatoes and cut it in to triangle shape.
- Vola now the veggi, green chutney sandwich is ready.
- Note: If the bread is fresh enjoy it as such, if its old then toast it. If needed we can trim off the edges for softer feel.
Variations: Toast the bread slices, Take whole wheat or rustic bread for better texture, Add other veggi’s like carrots , spinach , pickled peppers and cucumbers, lettuce, mushroom’s, avocado slices, hardboiled egg, hummus, pesto, other deli slices., More of ground pepper, cream cheese, mayo , vinegar, mustard ….