Sundaikai ( சுண்டகை புலுசு, సుందకై పులుసు , सुन्दकई कर्री ), Turkey Berry in English, is a very popular in Tamilnadu. Commonly prepared as vathal, dried sundaikai, this can also be cooked freshly to make curry, kootu, sambar, kuzhambu, pachadi, Thuvayal, etc..
Sundaikai contains high medicinal value and is very good for health. It is rich in Iron content and it acts like cleanser to clean our stomach. It is widely used in Siddha medicine for making chooranams, which is helpful for digestion problems. Even now most mothers feed sundaikai vathal to her daughter, after she give birth to a baby.
Regional dish : Tamilnadu; Some places of South India.
Cuisine style : Tamilnadu | Cooking time 20 | Take with rice | Type Curry | Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity 4 servings.
Appx. Nutritious values calculated for 1 serving :
Calories (269 Kcal), Carbohydrates (55 g), Protein (8 g), Fat ( 2 g).
- Sundaikai 100g
- Onion chopped 1 medium size
- Tomato 1 chopped
- Tamarind lemon size
- Chilli powder to taste
- Coriander powder 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 10 fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Oil 1/2 tbsp
1. Remove the top stem and cut the sundakai into half.
2. Wash with plenty of water and put it in water.
3. Soak the tamarind in water and extract the juice and keep aside.
4. Take a pan and heat with oil and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and methi seeds.
5. When they start to pop add choppeed onions and asafoetida.
6. Saute till they turn into transparent.
7. Add chopped tomatoes and saute till they become mushy.
8. Now add the sundaikai and required quantity of salt.
9. Mix well and cover with a lid and cook on low flame for 5-10 mins (In-between stir well).
10. Then add chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder.
11. Saute for few seconds. Then pour the tamarind extract and allow it to boil for 10-15 mins.
12. The consistancy of the kuzhambu is your choice.
13. Now your simple and delicious sundaikai kulambu or sundaikai pulusu is ready to serve.
14. Serve your easy sundaikai curry with plain white rice and papad.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : None.