Nellikai Tambli / Gooseberry buttermilk (आमला छाछ, ఉసిరికాయ మజ్జిగ) is very healthy as it has gooseberry, In India it is also called as amla, which when consumed helps in digestion, maintains good skin, hair and has antioxidants which helps healthy body by all means. This berry can be consumed raw, cooked by using in various preparations, dry form or as medicines.
In India goose berry is used in pickling, dried as churan , as sweet preparation, and one among them is this recipe gooseberry in combination with buttermilk , that goes well with rice.
Regional Dish: Maharashtra, Mangalore, Karnataka, Andhra pradesh.
Cuisine Style: Mangalore| Cooking Time 20 mins | Take it with rice| Type Soup| Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 6 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (35Kcal), Carbohydrates (3g), Protein (0g), Fat (2g)
- Nellikai [Gooseberry] – 5 medium size
- Shredded Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Buttermilk – 1/2 cup
- Green chili – 1
- Salt – as required
- Ghee/Oil – 1 tsp.
- Mustard seed – ½ tsp.
- Red chili – 1
- Curry leaves – 3 to 4
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp.
- Cook Gooseberry to tender. Remove the seeds
- Grind Gooseberry, green chili, coconut and cumin seeds to smooth paste
- Add buttermilk and salt to the paste
- Heat ghee/oil in a pan. Add mustard. When mustard starts to splutter, add curry leaves and red chilly
- Garnish this over the paste
- This tastes good with rice