Goan Chicken Curry (गोवा चिकन करी) this is authentic chicken curry that is made with coconut and red chili paste. This curry is rich and spicy that can be had with rice.
Regional Dish: Goa, Maharashtra
Cuisine Style: Goa| Cooking Time 30mins | Take it with rice/ roti |Type Curry| Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity : 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (280Kcal), Carbohydrates (15g), Protein (18g), Fat (12g)
- Chicken – 500 gms. (Cut into medium sized pieces and wash into warm water.)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Tamarind pulp – 2 tbsp. (or 1/2 tsp. tamarind paste concentrate)
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp.
- Oil – 2 and 1/2 tbsp.
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro for garnishing
- For Masala paste
- Onion (medium sized) – 2 (Sliced)
- Dry grated coconut – 1/4 cup
- Cloves of garlic (big sized) – 3
- Ginger – 1.5 inch piece
- Spices to dry roast and grind
- Coriander seeds – 2 tbsp.
- Dried red chilies – 5
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp.
- Sesame seeds – 1 tsp.
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cloves – 2
- Green cardamom – 2
- Black peppercorns – 10-12
- Cinnamon – 1.5 inch stick
- Dry roast all spices mentioned above on low heat till the time nice aroma starts to come out.
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a pan. Add sliced onions and saute till they get nice golden brown color. Add ginger, garlic and coconut. Saute for a minute. Switch off the heat.
- Let them cool down. First grind all roasted spices coarsely. Then add onion-coconut mixture in a blender and make a smooth puree by adding 1/2 cup of water.
- Now masala for chicken curry is ready.
- Heat 1 and half tbsp oil in a pan. Add some finely chopped onion and saute till translucent. Add chicken pieces, turmeric powder, ground masala, paprika and salt to taste. Mix well and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add 2 and half cups of water (Add less water if you want thick gravy). Cover the pan and cook for 10-15 minutes. Stir in between.
- Finally add tamarind paste concentrate and allow curry to simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and garnish with cilantro. Serve hot with any Indian flat bread or rice.