Ginger Chutney (అల్లంపచ్చడి, இஞ்சிசட்னி, अदरककी चटनी) is a combination of tastes like sweet of jiggery, tangy from tamarind, spicy from chilies and fresh ginger. This chutney becomes one of the side in every Sounth Indian Breakfast menu that goes with idli , dosa, utappam, vada, appam , puttu , undrallu , kichidi, pongal.. if we say the list goes on and on.
Regional dish: Andhra Pradesh; Tamil Nadu; South India.
Cuisine Style: Andhra Pradesh | Preparation time 20 mins | Type Chutneys | Take with idli, dosa | Shelf life : 3 5days if refrigerated | Quantity : 8 Servings.
Appx.Nutritional values: calculated for 1 serving (1Tbsp)
Calories (20K cals), Carbohydrates (2g), Protein (g), Fat (1g)
- Fresh Ginger pieces 2 tbsp. ( peel the skin and then cut the ginger in to small pieces)
- Dry red chilies 6 nos.
- Tamarind 1 lime size ball
- Urad ( black gram dal ) 2 tbsp.
- Jaggery 2 tbsp.
- Oil 1 tsp
- Turmeric ¼ tsp.
- Salt as needed
For seasoning or tempering:
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves few
- Hing (asefodita) pinch
- Oil 1tsp
- Heat 1 tsp. of oil and add urad dal, red chilies and ginge and fry till the dal is golden in color.
- Now take the mixture off the heat , once its cool grind the above mixture with jiggery, tamarind, turmeric and salt in to fine paste , add water to make it soft and runny( like tomato sauce )
- Now do tasting and adjust accordingly.
- Take rest of oil in the pan and add all the ingredients listed under seasoning , once the mustard seeds pop add this to the prepared ginger paste and give a nice mix.
- Enjoy with idli or dosa.
Other variants / Cuisine Style: Add lots of fresh coriander leaves then it becomes coriander chutney.