Gatte Ki Sabzi (गट्टे की सब्जी) This make reminds the vast sandy areas of Rajasthan. As not much of veggie’s available in this region, wheat flour and chick pea flour with milk and curds play a major role in daily cooking in any Rajasthan home. One among sorted recipe is this which is very traditional with chickpea dumplings in a spicy, and tangy yogurt gravy that is enjoyed with rotis and ghee.
Regional Dish: Rajasthan
Cuisine Style: Rajasthan| Cooking Time 40 mins| Take it with roti | Type Curry| Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (89Kcals), Carbohydrates (8.9g), Protein (4.2 g), Fat (2.5g).
- Besan (Chick Pea Flour) – 1 cup
- Haldi (Turmeric Powder) – 1/2 tsp.
- Mirchi (Red Chilli) Powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Ajwain (Carom Seeds) – 1 tsp.
- Dhaniya (Coriander) Powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Salt – as per taste
- Dahi (Yogurt) – 1/4 cup
- Oil – 1/8 cup
- Onion – 1 cup finely chopped
- Tomato – 1 cup finely chopped
- Ginger – 1 inch piece grated
- Garlic – 4 cloves crushed
- Dahi (Yogurt) – 1 cup
- Dhaniya (Coriander) Powder – 1 tsp.
- Jeera (Cumin) Powder – 1 tsp.
- Mirchi (Red Chilli) Powder – 1 tsp.
- Amchur (Mango Powder) – 1/2 tsp.
- Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp.
- Rai (Mustard Seeds) – 1 tsp.
- Jeera (Cumin Seeds) – 1 tsp.
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – 2 tsp.
Method to make Gatte:
- Mix all dry masalas in besan
- Add oil to the besan and mix
- Slowly add dahi and mix it. Remember not to add all once as besan tends to get sticky.
- Make it into a firm dough (firm enough to roll it into cylinder shape.
- Now, take a small ball of the dough and roll it into 1/2 inch thick cylindrical shape (about 6 inch long or so.
- Take a pot and boil water in it. Take enough water to put all the above made gatte in it.
- Now, add the gatte in the boiling water. They should be fully merged in water.
- It should take about 10-15 min. Check by inserting a knife in one of the gatte and make sure knife comes out clean.
- Take out the gatte from water. Do not throw water as we will use it for the gravy.
- Cut about 1/2 – 1 inch thick slices of the above cooked gatte.
Method to make Gravy and Mixing:
- Add all dry masalas (except salt, add salt at the end as needed) to dahi and mix it well till smooth.
- Take a wide pan, add oil
- Add rai, jeera and let them splutter
- Now, add ginger and garlic and fry for a minute
- Add onion and fry till it is translucent
- Add tomato and fry till it is all mushy (cover the lid, it will be quicker)
- Add the dahi and mix till the gravy starts boiling and separating oil
- Now, add the gatte pieces in it, cover and cook for5 more min.
- Add saved water (and more) as needed and cook for 5 min, now the sabzi is ready !!!
Variations: Fry the cooked gatte till golden brown in color and then add to gravy. Add methi( fenugreek leaves) to chick pea flour while making gatte to make methi gatter ke subzi