Gasagase payasam (ಗಸಗಸೆ ಪಾಯಸ , खसखस की खीर,గసగసాల పాయాసం) Poppy seeds ( khus-khus/ gasagasalu,) payasam is very much native to Karnataka. This recipe is mostly prepared to offer god during poojas and festivals. Most of them even in India dose not have idea about this Kheer.
The main ingredient Poppy is used in making masala gravys in most of Indian cooking which either goes in to veg or non-veg dishes. They have that distinctive taste and flavor , which even when added in small amount makes the difference.
Gasagasae acts as a great cleanser for the system. It contains extensive quantities of calcium and phosphorus. It is a calming agent, and a very good food for lactating and pregnant mothers. Ground to a paste with lime juice, it is an effective remedy for dry itch.
Regional Dish: Karnataka
Cuisine Style: karnataka| Cooking time 30 minutes| Take as such | Type Sweet | Shelf life 2 days if refrigerated
Appx Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving (1 cup):
Calories ( 135.9 Kcals) , Carbohydrates (14.1g), Protein ( 2.9 g), Fat (4.1g)
- Rice – 1 Tbsp
- Poppy seeds/Gasagase/Khus khus – 1/2 cup
- Coconut – Grated about 2 cups (Or use 1 can of coconut milk)
- Cardamom – 4 pods crushed
- Nutmeg – a pinch ( optional)
- Sugar – 1 1/2 – 2 cups ( adjust according to once taste buds)
- Milk – 1 1/2 cups
- Water – 6 cups
- Rinse and soak rice.
- Add poppy seeds to it and let it soak for an hour at least. Some people roast the poppy seeds but it gives a smoky flavor.
- Grind the rice and poppy seeds with cardamom, nutmeg, and coconut.
- Transfer the ground paste to a big cook pot. Dilute the paste with remaining water.
- Cook on medium heat and let it come to a full boil stirring occasionally.
- The foam will look curdled, but don’t worry about it. When it is boiling all over.
- Add sugar, milk and mix well. Let it come to a full boil again. Adjust sugar if needed and turn off the heat.
- Serve warm, cold or even hot on a winter night.
If coconut milk is added then reduce the water content.
If nuts like cashew and almonds are used in this recipe that are grind ed with rice and poppy seeds ; than again adjust the water.
First roast poppy seeds and rice separately and grind in to paste.
Variations: Poppy seeds payasam with dry coconut .,Poppy seeds payasam with sweet and condensed milk (milkmaid),Poppy seeds payasam with jaggery,Poppy seeds payasam with agave nectar