Falooda (फालूदा) This is a popular dessert drink from India, It is a kind of milk shake, made with your choice of ice cream doused in rose syrup, milk, and topped off with vermicelli and basil seeds and nuts. It is one of the full filling, sweet milk dessert with different textures to enjoy in one serving.
Regional Dish: North India, Hyderabad (AP), Pakistan
Cuisine Style: Delhi| Cooking Time 120 mins| Take it as such | Type Soft drink| Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 2 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (217Kcals), Carbohydrates (21g), Protein (5g), Fat (12g).
- 2 cups of whole milk
- A hand full of Falooda sev / rice noodles
- 1 tsp. Basil seeds / Takmaria
- 4 tbsp. Rose syrup/ Roohafza
- 2 tbsp. Sugar
- ½ cup Vanilla Ice cream
- 1 tbsp. Almonds ( coarsely grounded)
- 1 tbsp. Pistachios ( coarsely grounded)
- ¼ tsp. Cardamom powder
- 2 scoops of choice Ice cream or kulfi
- 2 tbsp. Tutti frutti / candied cherries chopped(optional)
- 2 tbsp. jelly of your choice chopped (optional)
- Soak the basil seeds (tukmaria) in water for a minimum of 30 minutes, longer is better, so that they absorb water and double the size.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 cups of water in a pan; let it come to a boil. To this boiling water add falooda sev and let it cook for 3 minutes and take it off the flame.
- In another pan, heat the milk and let it come to a boil and take it off the flame.
- Add Cardamom Powder, Sugar and Rose Syrup and mix well.
- Strain the falooda sev and add it to the above prepared milk.
- Allow the milk-mixture to chill in the refrigerator for about approximately 2 hours.
- Strain the basil seeds and add to the chilled milk.
- At this time, also add the 1/2-cup of Vanilla Ice Cream and mix it in well.
- In a glass, add 1 scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream or kulfi and then pour the chilled milk.
- Add either tutti frutti of red and green color or jelly pieces of choice followed by
- Garnish with the coarsely ground pistachios and almonds and serve immediately.
- Like your desserts sweeter – just add extra rose syrup and sugar.
- If you are running short on time, you can use cold milk (without boiling). The flavor is slightly different.
- Substitute Low Fat Milk and Low Fat Ice Cream if health conscious.
- You can add coarsely grounded almonds to boiling milk as this helps the almonds in absorbing milk and enhances the flavor.
- The milk shake can be assembled to once choice like add sev to the bottom followed by rose milk, basil seeds , jelly … top off with ice cream or kulfi and nuts.
Variations: Falooda with rabadi, Falooda with mango milk , Falooda with kesar milk , Falooda with almond mlik , Falooda with pistascio milk , Falooda with some fruits.