Falafel-Tahini Sauce (फलाफल – तहेनी चटनी )Falafel and Tahini sauce are the only Mediterranean fast food or snack that is vegetarian by nature which is also very popular all over Europe, America , Africa , Australia , Russia and Middle East. Falafel is a protein veggie patti by nature which is rich in protein and other nutrients as . The tahini sauce is made of purely sesame seeds and olive oil which is rich in protein and Iron. It is also called Arab comfort food , It is deep fried and served with sauce or stuffed in to pitta bread with salad.
Regional Dish: Middle East
Cuisine Style: Mediterranean | Cooking Time 5 mins | Take it with falafel | Type Sauce |Quantity 15 servings| Shelf Life : 2 days
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving ( 2tbs)
Calories (90kcals), Carbohydrates (2g), Protein (2g), Fat (8g)
Ingredients :Tahini sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup tahini (sesame paste) ( dry roast sesame seeds and grind it to a smooth paste using oil )
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2tbs spoons of finely chopped cilantro
- Water (if needed to thin the sauce)
- Smash garlic cloves and place in a mortar and pestle with the salt crush together to form a smooth paste.
- Add in the tahini paste and lemon juice and mix until well incorporated.
- Add water if needed to loosen the sauce (it should be nice and thick, but still pourable).
- Now add the finely chopped cilantro leaves and mix well.
- Taste for seasoning, adding more salt or lemon if needed, reserve.
Regional Dish: Middle East
Cuisine Style: Mediterranean | Cooking Time 30 mins | Take it with sauce | Type Snack |Quantity 15 servings| Shelf Life : 1 days
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving ( 2pieces)
Calories (114.1Kcal), Carbohydrates (10.8 g), Protein (4.5 g), Fat (6.06g).
- 1/2 pound whole, dried chick peas, soaked overnight in cold water and pat dried so that it doesn’t have any water
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 green onions finely chopped
- 2 green chilies finely minced
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour/ mida
- 1 cup, finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbs of fresh sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- Oil for frying
- Drain the chick peas and rinse them well in cold water. Put the chick peas in to a food processor and pulsing, roughly grind them. Add the remaining falafel ingredients expect oil and process to resemble a grainy paste. Transfer the mix to a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let sit about an hour to rest.
- Take about 2 tablespoons worth of the mix and shape into a ball, and flatten slightly with the palm of your hand in to a patty should be 1 1/2″ to 2 ” in size ; press some sesame seeds on top of each pattie.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottom pan .Make sure the pot is wide enough to hold 6-8 falafels in a batch. When the oil is hot enough, gently place 6-8 falafel in the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes per side; The falafels are ready when a deep brown on both sides color appear. Remove to a paper-towel covered sheet tray to drain excess oil before serving with the tahini sauce.
- Note: These are best eaten warm from the fryer, but can be re-heated in a 350℉ oven for 8-10 minutes if need be.
- These are stuffed in to pita bread with some salad, humus, Tabbouleh which makes a complete meal
- The falafel mixture can be shaped in to patties for veggie burgers
- You can add fava beans too with chick peas to make falafel
- You can do shallow frying too , if u want to avoid deep frying