Drumstick fry (మునక్కాయ వేపుడు, முருங்கைகை போரியல், दृम्स्तिक्क तलना) is the best dish for making the meal satisfactory. The aroma of this stir fry is heavenly.
Regional dish: Andhra pradesh; Tamilnadu; South India.
Cuisine style: Andhra pradesh | Cooking time 10-15mins | Take it with rice or side dish | Type fry| Shelf Life : 1 day | Quantity : 6 Servings
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving :
Calories (90.3Kcals), Carbohydrates (28g), Protein (1g), Fat (1.5g).
- Drumsticks 2 nos
- Small onion 1 thinly sliced
- Chilli powder 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Roasted split gram 2 tbsp
- Garlic flakes, roughly crushed 3nos
- Urad dal 1 tsp
- Few curry leaves
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
1. Cut the drumsticks (munakkaya/murungaikai) into 3″ pieces.
2. Take small vessel and add the drumstick pieces with little quantity of water.
3. Cook on medium high flame till the drumstick pieces become 75 persent cooked.
4. Drain the excess of water and keep aside.
5. Make a powder with roasted split gram and keep aside.
6. Now heat a pan with oil and add urad dal and curry leaves.
7. When the dal colour changes to golden brown, then add crushed garlic flakes.
8. Saute for few seconds or they turn into light golden yellow colour add onions slices and fry till they are fried.
9. Add cooked munakkaya pieces and required quantity of salt.
10. Saute for 5 mins, then add chilli powder and turmeric powder.
11. Mix well and cook on low flame for further 2-4 mins.
12. Finally add roasted split gram powder and again fry for few more seconds.
13. Remove from flame and now your easy and tasty drumstick stir fry is ready to serve.
14. Serve hot with Sambar rice, Rasam rice, etc…
Other variants / Cuisine Style : Munakkaya fry with Ground nut powder.