Dosavakaya (దోసఆవకాయ) It is an Andhra regional recipe. It is mostly prepared in and around coastal area’s in Andhra Pradesh. The pickle is a bit pungent and bitter due to mustard. But when it is mixed with rice and oil it has that punch. This pickle can be prepared and enjoyed as soon as its prepared.
Regional Dish: Andhra Pradesh
Cuisine Style: Andhra| Cooking Time 20 mins | Take it with Rice | Type Pickle | Shelf Life : 2 days |Quantity : 10 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving
Calories (20 Kcals), Carbohydrates (7.4 g), Protein (0.2), Fat (0.5g).
- 1 mediums size Indian yellow cucumber ( dosa kaya)
- 3 tbsps. mustard powder
- 4 tbsps. red chili powder ( adjust to once taste buds)
- 1 1/2 tbsp. salt-if required more salt can be added at a later stage
- 4-5 tbsp. of oil
- Wash dosakaya and dry it completely. Cut the cucumber into two halves and de-seed the cucumber and cut it into small pieces or slightly big .approx. 1″ size which yields 2 cups of chopped pieces.
- Mix chili powder, mustard powder and salt.
- Take a wide vessel, add the above spice-mixture and the chopped dosakaya pieces; Mix them well so that the spice powder coats all the cucumber pieces than add the oil and combine with the pieces till well coated, Taste and adjust if anything is needed
- Its time to transfer the pickle in to a clean and dry glass or ceramic jar. Close the lid tightly and store overnight in a dark place. Next day open the jar , mix pickle with a clean and dry spoon and is ready to be enjoyed with hot plain rice with Oil or ghee.
- Select a nice and firm yellow cucumber.
- Cut in to half, check if its bitter or sour. If bitter discard, use only sour once.
- Do not peel the skin, cut pieces with skin on.
- Either way we can prepare the pickle with or without seeds.
- The process should be moisture free, if not the pickle gets spoiled.
- This pickle is enjoyed fresh as the cucumber pieces are crunchy, but can also be stored in fridge for about a month.
Variations: Adding some tamarind pulp, Adding lemon juice.