Dosakaya pappu (దోసకాయ పప్పు, டோசகைய பப்பு, कीरा दाल) also called cucumber dal is dish of india. Cucumber or Dosakaya pappu is all time favourite daal and can be made very quickly with less ingredients.
Regional Dish : Andhra Pradesh; Tamilnadu; South India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra pradesh | Cooking Time 25 minutes | Take with Rice | Type Dal | Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity : 4 Servings.
Appx.Nutiritional values : calcualted for 1 serving ( 1/2 cup)
Calories ( 141Kcals) , Carbohydrates (22g), Protein(4.5g), Fat (3.1g)
- Kandipappu/ Toor Dal 100 gms
- Dosakaya/ Indian cucumber 2 cups, peeled and cubed
- Tomato 1,medium size, finely chopped
- Small Onion 1/2 finely chopped
- Green chillies 4, slit lengthwise
- Red Chilli powder 1 tsp, can increase/decrease as spicy needed
- Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
- Tamarind paste 2 tbsps
- Salt to taste
To Temper/Talimpu/popu/tadka :
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Minnapappu/ Urad dal 1 tsp
- Garlic 4 cloves, crushed
- Jeera/cumin seeds ½ tsp
- Dry Red chillies 2, broken into two
- Curry leaves 2 sprigs
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida a pinch
1. Clean & peel the skin. Check for the bitterness of the dosakaya. If its fine, then cut it into cubes.
2. In a pressure pan, add dal, cubed dosakaya, onions (if you are using big ones, chop it.),
tomatoes, green chillies, tamarind paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and pour 300 ml of water.
3. Cook for 4 whistles. Cool and open the pressure pan lid.
4. Mash the dal masher.
5. A dd water, according to the desired consistency.
6. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, once it crackles, jeera, dry red chillies, garlic, asafoetida & curry leaves.
7. Stir fry for about 4-5 seconds.
8. Pour this in the dal. Keep in the stove till it starts boiling.
9. Remove from the flame and Garnish with coriander leaves and cover keep it for some time before serving.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : None.
No comments yet.