Doodh Puli (দুধ পুলি) is a special sweet that is prepared durin sankranthi and for durga poojas in Bengali homes. As we all know that Bengal is famous for sweets prepared by milk ; this has milk and rice with the sweetness of jiggery.
Regional Dish: Bengal, Orissa.
Cuisine Style: Bengal| Cooking Time 30 mins | Take it as such | Type Sweet| Shelf Life: 2 days if refrigerated| Quantity: 8 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (160Kcal), Carbohydrates (22g), Protein (4g), Fat (10g)
- Milk : 1 liter
- Jaggery : 250 gm.(approx.) or Sugar : 1 cup
- For outer shell
- Rice Flour: 500 gm.
- Salt: a pinch
- Lukewarm water to make the dough
- For Inner filling
- Grated Coconut : 2 cups
- Sugar: 1 cup
- Cardamom Powder : 1 tbsp.
- Making filling: Take coconut in a wide pan. Add sugar little by little and keep stirring in low flame. Cook this mixture until the mixture comes together and sticks together. Remove from heat when the mixture leaves the sides of the pan. Flavor it with cardamom powder. Let it cool.
- Making Outer shell: Take rice flour, add salt and mix. Add enough lukewarm water to make soft dough. Cover the dough.
- Making Puli: After sometime, make small balls, size of a lemon from the dough. Flatten each ball with your fingers in the shape of a bowl. The shell would be medium thin. Stuff small amount of filling mixture into it. Bring together both the edges and it will get the shape of half-moon, press and seal with your finger. Your puli is done. Make other pulis the same way.
- Making the thickened milk/doodh : In a big wide pan, heat milk, Once it starts to boil, let it cook for 10 minutes. Then lower the heat to low, add jaggery according to your taste (you should always add jaggery in low heat, as in high heat it can curdle the milk). Mix, add all the prepared pulis now, cook for another 15 minutes or until pulis are soft and the milk has thickened. Take care not to break the pulis. The milk shouldn’t be too thick nor too thin. Serve Cold…and relish this specialty.
Variations: Add some poppy seeds in the filling. Add some dry fruits in the filling.
No comments yet.