Dhokla (ઢોકળા, ਧੋਕ੍ਲਾ, ढोक्ला, ಧೋಕ್ಲ)) is a snack from the Indian state of Gujarat made with a fermented batter of gram (chickpeas). This nutritious snack from Gujarat in Western India is popular all over the country. Serve it with Tamarind and Mint-coriander Chutneys.
Regional Dish : Gujarati; Punjabi; Karnataka; Kerala; North India; some places in South India.
Cuisine Style : Gujarati | Cooking Time 30 minutes | Take as snack | Type khaman Snack | Shelf Life : 3 hours |Quantity: 2 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values :calculated for 1 serving (4 nos)
Calories (583 Kcal), Carbohydrates (59.3 g), Protein ( 15.9 g), Fat (12.4 g).
- Besan 1 cup
- Ginger paste 1/2 tsp
- Green chilli paste 1/2 tsp
- Salt 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Sour curd 1/2 cup
- Water 1/2 cup
- Fruit salt 1 tsp (eno)
For tadka :
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves 4-5
- Green chillies-slit 2-3
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Mix the besan, ginger paste, chilli paste, salt, turmeric, sugar and oil and beat in the curd. Beat till smooth. Add the water and mix well again.
- Add the fruit salt, stir gently and pour immediately into the greased tin and place in the steamer.
- Place a thin cloth between the lid and the steamer, and close tight. Steam for 20 minutes.
- Remove the tin from the steamer and keep aside.
- Heat the oil for the tadka, add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and green chillies.
- Saute till slightly colored, and add on top of dhokla. Cut the dhokla into desired sized pieces and pour the tadka over. Garnish with the coriander leaves, coconut and serve.
- If u want Dhokla to be wet then u can dissolve a table spoon of sugar in a cup of water and put on each dhokla piece.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Channa Dal Dhokla, 2. Moong Dal Dhokla 3. Sooji Dhokla 4. Rice Dhokla 5. Urad dal dokla