Vegetable Dhansak is a popular Indian dish, especially popular among the Parsi Zoroastrian community. In Parsi homes, dhansak is traditionally made on Sundaysowing to the long preparation time. Dhansak consists of lentils, vegetables, spices, cumin seeds, ginger, and garlic together with meat and pumpkin. Within the Parsi community, dhansak usually contains goat meat or mutton; it is rarely made with other meatsor chicken, or without meat.
Outside of India, some variants of dhansak use pineapple chunks for sweetness, however the traditional recipes never contain fruit, instead favoring the subtle sweetness of pumpkin, squash or gourd.
Regional Dish: Goa, Parsi people, Gujarat, Maharashtra
Cuisine Style: Indian| Preparation Time: 45 mins | Take it with rice or roti | Type: Curry| Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity : 6 servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving :
Calories (158 Kcal), Carbohydrates (20.7), Protein (7.4 g), Fat (5.3g).
- 1/4th cup Pegion peas(Toor dal )
- 1/4th cup Green gram (moong dal)
- 1/4th cup Split black grams (urad)dal
- 1/4th cup Red lentils (masoor dal)
- 1/2 to 1 cup Capsicum (simla mirch) diced
- 1/2 to 1 cup Broccoli
- 1/2 to 1 cup Brinjal (eggplant)
- 1/2 to 1 cup Carrots
- /2 to 1 cup Celery
- 1/2 to 1 cup Tomatoes
- 1/2 to 1 cup Onions
- 1 Tablespoon. ginger-garlic paste
- Green chilies, Garam masala, Salt to taste
- 1/4th teaspoon. Cumin (jeera) seeds(jeera)
- 1 Tablespoon. Oil
- Coriander (dhania) leaves
- 1 teaspoon. clarified butter (ghee)
- Wash toor dal, moong dal, split black grams (urad)dal and red lentils (masoor dal) together.
- Add 2 to 2 1/2 cups of water.
- Add broccoli, carrots, celery and cook in the pressure cooker.
- Heat oil add cumin (jeera) seeds (jeera), green chilies, onion and fry until onion becomes golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and fry for some more time.
- Add tomatoes, capsicum (simla mirch), brinjal. Cover the vessel.
- Add some salt. Stir occasionally.
- Cook the vegetables.
- Then add cooked dal.
- Add some water, garam masala, coriander leaves, some salt if needed and boil for 5 minutes and serve with brown rice or roti.
Variations: Meat with vegetables, Chicken with vegetables.