Dalma (डालमा) is a odiya comforting and nutritious food ; with a combination of lentils and mixed vegetables which is elevated with ghee , ginger and coconut. It is a traditional recipe that is prepared in earthern vessel and is also a temple food which is enjoyed with rice.
Regional Dish: Orissa.
Cuisine Style: Orissa | Cooking Time 30 mins | Take it with rice/ roti | Type Curry| Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 6 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (80Kcal), Carbohydrates (12g), Protein (1g), Fat (10g)
- 3/4 cup: Toor dal ( red gram dal)
- 150 gms: Red Pumpkin cut into big pieces
- 2 no: Medium Sized Brinjal cut into medium size pieces
- 1 no: Green Banana cut into medium size pieces
- 150 gms: Green Papaya cut into medium size pieces
- 1 no: Medium Sized Potato, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 2 tsp.: Fresh Grated Coconut
- 1 tsp.: Pancha-phutana (Cumin Seed, Mustard Seed, Fennel Seed, Fenugreek Seed, Kala Jeera)
- 4 no: Dry Red Chilies
- 1 tbsp.: Ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp.: Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp.: Cumin seed
- 2 tsp.: Red Chili powder
- 1 tsp.: Ghee or Oil
- 1/2 tsp.: Sugar
- Salt to taste
- Roast 1 tsp. of cumin and red chili in a pan till light brown.
- Grind it together and keep it aside.
- Boil 4 cups of water in the pressure cooker and add all vegetables (potato, banana, pumpkin, brinjal and papaya) and cook for 10 minutes without putting on the whistle
- Add dal into this boiling vegetable, salt, minced ginger, turmeric and pressure cook it for 2 whistles (If cooking without a Pressure Cooker, it should be cooked till the Dal is completely cooked)
- Heat Ghee/Cooking Oil in a pan. Add panch-phutana once they pop, add 2 red chillies and then add it to the cooked dal and vegetables.
- Sprinkle roasted cumin and chili powder.
- Garnish with grated coconut and coriander leaves
- Serve with hot steam rice.