Dali Ambat (Konkani Coconut daal) is an important part of our everyday meal. Konkani daal is made coconut curry which is called Dali Ambat which definitely requires grinding a masala. Ambat in Konkani refers to a coconut curry in which the seasoning is made of onions. One can make this recipe with or without vegetables, whatever way it is made the daal is delicious and comfy.
Regional Dish: Goa, Maharashtra, Mangalore, Karnataka.
Cuisine Style: Konkani| Cooking Time 30 mins | Take it with rice| Type Dal| Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (210Kcal), Carbohydrates (25g), Protein (5g), Fat (5g)
- 3/4 cup Toor daal
- 1/2 cup fresh/frozen shredded coconut
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds
- 4-5 dried red chilies
- 1 Tbsp. tamarind/ tamarind extract from lemon sized ball (soaked in water)
- Salt to taste
- A pinch asafetida/hing
- 1 cup chopped vegetables of choice (potato + carrot +peas+ cauliflower+ beans) [optional]
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 dried red chilies (cut into 2-3 pieces)
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- Pressure cook the daal in water for 3 whistles and set aside.
- Boil the vegetables along with salt in sufficient amount of water separately. Make sure it is not overcooked. Keep aside.
- In a small pan, heat oil and roast the red chilies and coriander seeds.
- Now make the coconut masala, by grinding coconut along with roasted red chilies, salt, tamarind, water and roasted coriander seeds. The masala should be made into a very fine paste. Add more water if required.
- Heat a sauce pan and add the coconut paste, cooked daal , cooked vegetables ( if using) together. Boil until the raw smell of coconut is gone. Check for taste and adjust the seasonings if required.
- In the meanwhile heat oil in a small pan (use the same one for roasting red chilies and coriander seeds). Add the chopped onion, curry leaves, red chilies and cook until the onion turns light brown.
- Put this tadka over the boiling daal, switch of the gas and cover with lid. Serve hot with rice or rotis.