Dal makhani (ਦਲ ਮਾਖਾਨੀ, ದಲ್ ಮಖಾನಿ, దాల్ మఖని, பருப்பு மக்ஹனி, दाल माखनी) a flavourful robust lentil delicacy from punjab. Dal Makhani is one of Punjabi cuisine’s most characteristic signature dishes, and is high in protein–an important attribute in primarily vegetarian cultures. Traditionally this dal is cooked on low flame, for hours, on charcoal, which gives it a rich creamy texture.
Regional Dish: Punjab; Haryana; Delhi; Uttar Pradesh; Bihar; North India.
Cuisine Style: Punjab|Cooking Time 25 minutes| Take with chapati or roti| Type Curry|Shelf Life :1 day | Quantity : 4 Servings.
Appx.Nutritional values: calculated for 1 serving ( 1cup)
Calories (350 kcal), Carbohydrates (63g), Protein (14g), Fat (6g).
- Urad 1/2 cup (whole black lentil)
- Rajma 1 tbsp (kidney beans)
- Low fat milk 1 cup (optional)
- Curds or yougart 2tbs (dahi)
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp (jeera)
- Finely chopped onions 1/2 cup
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tsp (adrak lehsun)
- Chilli powder 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp (haldi)
- Coriander powder 1 tsp ( dhania)
- Cumin powder 1tsp (jeera)
- Garam masala 1tsp
- Fresh tomato pulp 3/4 cup
- Oil 1 Tbsp / butter
- Salt to taste
- For garnish chopped coriander leaves 2 tbsp
1. Clean, wash and soak the whole urad and rajma overnight. Drain and keep aside.
2. Combine the dals, and salt with 2 cups of water and pressure cook till the dals are overcooked. Whisk well till the dal is almost mashed.
3. Add the milk and 1 cup of water and simmer for 10 minutes while stirring occasionally.
4. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds. When the seeds crackle, add the onions and ginger-garlic paste and sauté till the onions turn golden brown.
5. Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder , garam masala and tomato pulp with ¼ cup of water and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes.
7. Add this to the dal mixture , than add curds and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes till the dal is thick and creamy.
9. Serve hot, garnished with the coriander leaves.
Note: It can be made rich by adding 1 Tbs of heavy cream.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1.Dal makhani with toor dal (kandi pappu), moong dal. (Andhra ).2.Dal maharani