Dahi Baingan Kashmiri (दही बैंगन कश्मीरी) is unique yet tasty way of making eggplants. It has that soft nutty tanginess that comes from yogurt . which is dosed with fennel and ginger flavors. This is a Kashmiri home favorite.
Regional Dish: Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, Haryana.
Cuisine Style: Kashmir | Cooking Time 15mins | Take it with rice/ roti| Type Curry| Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity : 5 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (85Kcal), Carbohydrates (12g), Protein (3g), Fat (4g)
- 4 big eggplants cut into roundels (thick slices)
- 2 cups(s) yoghurt
- ½ tsp. fennel seed powder (saunf)
- ¼ tsp. asafoetida
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 tsp. red chilli powder
- 1 tsp. ginger powder
- 3 green cardamoms
- 2 tbsp. oil
- salt to taste
- oil to deep fry
- finely chopped fresh coriander to garnish
- Wash the eggplant roundels, pat dry and deep fry in hot oil till light brown in color. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Beat the yoghurt along with salt till smooth.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan on medium level and drop in the green cardamoms and asafoetida. Fry briefly and add the yoghurt quickly.
- Mix in the spice powders. Cook on medium level for about 4 minutes.
- Add the fried eggplant roundels, cover and cook on low level for about 4 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander and serve with rice or naan.
- Note: To cut down on calories, try grilling the eggplant roundels brushed with a little oil instead of deep frying them.