Dadhojanam (దద్ధోజనం, தயிர் அரிசி, दही के चावल, ಮೊಸರು ಅನ್ನಂ) Yogurt rice is a typical south indian dish. In andhra pradesh yogurt rice is called as “dadhojanam”. Yogurt rice reminds me of Indian temples, where yogurt rice is served as prasad after offering to the lord. The best flavor and test comes out of the rice when yogurt rice is prepared half hour to one hour before serving time.Yogurt rice is very pacifying to the body, when eaten in summer. Adding seasoning to it makes it aromatic and appealing.
Regional Dish : Tamilnadu; Andhra; Karnataka (or) use something like South India if its subcontental dish.
Cuisine Style : Tamilnadu | Cooking Time 30 minutes | Take with pickle | Type Lunch,Dinner|Shelf Life : 2 days if refrigerated | Quantity : 2 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1 serving (1cup)
Calories ( 250 Kcal), Carbohydrates (85.8 g ), Protein ( 0 g), Fat ( 12.5 g).
- Rice 1 cup (uncooked)
- Yogurt/Curd 4 cups
- Ginger 2 tablespoons (grated)
- Green chillies 4 medium size (chopped)
- Salt 1 and 1/2 teaspoon or as per taste
- Coriander leaves finely chopped 2 tbsp.
- Grated carrot 2 tbsp.
- Chopped cucumber pieces 2 tbsp.
- Chana dal 1 table spoon
- Urad dal 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
- Dry red chilli 1 long( 3 pieces)
- Curry leaves 1 stalk
- Oil 1 tablespoon
- Wash rice, add 2 cups of water with 1/2 teaspoon salt and one teaspoon of oil. Cook the rice separately and set it aside.
- Preheat oil in a wok/kadai at medium high temperature. Add chana dal, urad dal, cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Let the seeds splutter, add grated ginger, green chilies, dried red chilli, and curry leaves and take it off the stove.
- Mix yogurt, coriander leaves, carrot, cucumber pieces with cooked rice and the seasoning. Mix well, set it aside for 30 minutes to one hour to let the yogurt seep/soak in the rice for more flavor.
- Serve with lemon pickle or any spicy pickle in the side.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Simple Curd rice 2. Curd rice with green chilly seasoning 3. bagala bath 4. Dadhojanam with fruits.5. Curd rice with Peanuts. Adding raw green mango.