Creamy Corn Masala (मलाईदार मकई मसाला) is very rich as it has milk , poppy seeds paste but yet it is very soft in texture. Freshly shelled corn is fried in little ghee and cooked in milk till soft. Then ground poppy seeds paste is added to the corn and reduced till it comes together. Finally garam masala is added to it before removing from heat. Serve creamy corn masala with roti, pulka etc.
Regional Dish: North India, Punjab
Cuisine Style: Punjabi| Preparation Time: 30 mins | Take it with Roti | Type : Curry| Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity : 4 servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (250 Kcal), Carbohydrates (20.4g), Protein (3.2 g), Fat (8.7 g).
- Shelled Fresh or Frozen Corn 1 1/2 Cups
- Milk 1 Cup
- Poppy Seeds 2 tbsps.
- Garam Masala 1/4 tsp.
- Garlic 3 Cloves
- Salt to taste
- Ghee 2 tbsp.
- Fresh chopped cilantro leaves to garnish
- Peel and roughly chop the garlic.
- Soak poppy seeds in minimum amount of water for couple of hours.
- Grind the soaked poppy seeds along with garlic into smooth paste.
- Heat a pan on medium heat, add ghee and shelled corn.
- Fry for a minute or two, then add milk.
- Boil till milk reduces to almost half the quantity.
- Then stir in ground poppy seeds paste and salt.
- Alternatively, pressure cook the shelled corn along with milk for a whistle.
- When the corn comes together a little, stir in garam masala.
- Remove from heat and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve creamy corn masala with roti etc.
- Notes: Make sure to soak the poppy seeds well before making in to paste, as soaking gives smooth consistency.
Variations: Adding methi leaves, Adding fresh cream, Adding finely chopped onions.