Coconut Rice (కొబ్బరి అన్నం, नारियल का चावल,தேங்காய் சாதம்) It is a south Indian Rice variety which is light and has that richness of coconut in every morsel. The rice is cooked in water or to give more flavor, it is cooked in combination of water and coconut milk and then it is seasoned with grated coconut and rest of the spices. This goes well with packed lunches. This rice is mostly prepared druing poojas , in temples and on festivals.
Regional Dish: Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka
Cuisine Style: Andhra Pradesh| Cooking Time 35mins| Take it as such| Type Rice| Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (190Kcals), Carbohydrates (21g), Protein (3 g), Fat (10g).
- Rice 1 cup
- Grated coconut ½ cup
- Water 2 cups ( or 1 cup water and 1 cup coconut milk )
- Salt as per taste
- Oil 2 tbsp.
- Curry leaves 2 sprigs
- Dry red chilies 2 broken in to pieces
- Green chilies 2 cut in to small pieces
- Pea nuts 2 tbsp.
- Channa dal 2 tbsp.
- Urad dal 2 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp.
- Hing ¼ tsp.
- First wash rice and drain the water and add water as for ratio of rice 1 cup and water 2 cups or water 1 cup and coconut milk 1 cup and cook till well done.
- Once rice is cooked, take a big wide open pan and put on medium to low heat and add the oil.
- Once the oil is warm add the seasoning ingredients , once they pop add the grated coconut and toss for 2 minutes , then add the cooked rice to this and the salt and give it a good mix.
- Check for the taste.
- Now dish out in to a serving bowl and enjoy warm coconut rice.
Variations: Add cashew nuts. Add ginger.