Coconut payasam (தேங்காய் பாயம்,కొబ్బరి పాయసం, नारियल खीर) Coconut Payasam is a South Indian dessert cooked generally for festivals and occasions , mostly in Tamilnadu and Kerala.
Regional Dish : Tamilnadu; Kerala; South India and some places in North.
Cuisine Style : Tamilnadu | Cooking Time 30 minutes | Take as snack | Type sweet | Shelf Life : 1 day.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1serving :
Calories (221 Kcal), Carbohydrates (18.5 g), Protein (2.7 g), Fat (10 g).
- Fresh Coconut pieces – ½ shell
- Chopped jaggery – ½ cup
- Rice – 1 table spoon
- Cashew nuts and raisins – few
- Cardamom pods – 4 no
- Ghee – 1 tea spoon
- Soak rice for 15 to 20 minutes and drain; grind soaked rice, coconut, cardamom to a fine batter.
- Boil jaggery in one cup of water than filter and keep it a side
- Heat a pan with ghee, fry cashew nuts and raisinsseparately and keep them a side.
- In the same pan, boil one cup of water; when this starts boiling add ground paste; add some water and stir continuously; as it is cooked, the colour and texture will change and if you touch with wet finger this won’t stick in your finger.
- Now add boiled and filtered jaggery water; adjust consistency as per your choice and cook for few more minutes; garnish with cashew nuts and raisins.
- Serve hot or cold.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Coconut payasam with coconut milk .