Churma Laddu (ચુરમા લડ્ડુ, చుర్మా లడ్డు, चुर्मा लड्डू) Churma laddoo, sinfully rich in ghee, are famous in Gujarat / Rajasthan, and are specially served in the form of Prasad, or any auspicious occasion. Churma is a traditional Rajasthani sweet, made specially during festivities. Churma is the powdered form which is also made into laddus.
Regional Dish : Rajasthan; Gujarath; North India.
Cuisine Style : Rajasthan | Cooking Time 45 minutes | Take it as snack or Prasadam | Type Sweet | Shelf Life : 5 days.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving : Calories (325.0 K cal), Carbohydrates (36.9 g), Protein (5.2 g), Fat (23.4 g).
Ingredients to serve :
- Whole wheat flour coarsely ground (gehun ka atta) 200 grams
- Semolina (suji ) 50 grams
- Ghee 250 grams
- Sugar 200 grams
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 10 almonds
- 20 cashew nuts
- water or milk to knead
- Make a stiff dough of the whole wheat flour , semolina , 50 grams ghee using very little water or milk , then set a side for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into small balls of lemon size
- Shape the balls into flat thick chapathi by pressing them between both the palms and make an indentation using the thumb finger in the center, like a deep impression.
- Heat rest of the ghee in a large kadhai and deep fry the dough portions on a very slow flame for approximately 25 to 30 minutes until they are golden brown in colour.
- Take them out of ghee and allow them to cool.
- Grind them in a food processor to get a fine powder (churma).
- Turn on the ghee and add all the nuts and fry, to this add the churma and keep frying on low heat for 5 mins as the colour changes and also gives out aroma.
- Once the aroma comes take it of the heat and allow to cool .
- In the mean time grind sugar in to powder , than add this to churma and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Now take fist full of churma and roll in to round ball shape ( laddu)
- Store the laddus in an air-tight container.
Other variants / Cuisine Style :using bura ( tagar) instead of sugar, adding nutmeg , adding cinamom , using jaggery, adding dry coconut powder to ladoo , decorating with poppy seeds.