Christmas Cake (क्रिसमस केक)
This cake is basically a fruit cake which is prepared across the continents especially for Christmas with a combination of dry fruits of choice and nuts soaked in rum. This cake is very dense and rich; it is prepared in advance so that the cake is treated with brandy which keeps it moist and is infused with loads of flavors.
Regional Dish: America, Australia, Europe
Cuisine Style: American | Cooking Time 95 min | Take it as Such | Type Sweet | Shelf Life: 10 days |Quantity: 16 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving
Calories (290 kcals), Carbohydrates (35g), Protein (3g), Fat (9.2g).
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup currants
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup dates, chopped
- 1/4 cup figs chopped
- 1/4 cup dried pineapple
- Zest of one lemon, chopped coarsely
- Zest of one orange, chopped coarsely
- 1/4 cup candied ginger, chopped
- 1 cup gold rum
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 ounces unsalted butter (1 1/4 sticks)
- 1 cup apple juice
- 4 whole cloves, ground or ½ tsp. cloves powder
- 3 allspice berries, ground or 1tsp allspice powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup toasted nuts pecans, walnuts, almonds
- Combine dried fruits, candied ginger and both zests. Add rum and allow it to soak and become soft overnight, or microwave for 5 minutes to re-hydrate fruit.
- Place fruit and liquid in a non-reactive pot with the sugar, butter, apple juice and spices. Bring mixture to a boil stirring often, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for at least 15 minutes. (then cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before completing cake.)
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients and sift into fruit mixture. Quickly bring batter together with a large wooden spoon, then stir in eggs one at a time until completely integrated, then fold in nuts.
- Spoon into a 10-inch non-stick loaf pan and bake for 1 hour. Check for doneness by inserting toothpick into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, it’s done. If not, bake another 10 minutes, and check again.
- Remove cake from oven and place on cooling rack. Baste or spritz top with brandy and allow to cool completely before turning out from pan.
- When cake is completely cooled, seal in a tight sealing, food safe container. Every 2 to 3 days, feel the cake and if dry, spritz with brandy. The cake’s flavor will enhance considerably over the next two weeks.
Note: Use can either use all the nuts and dry fruits listed in the recipe or can modify according to once taste, but the final product is heavenly.
Variations: Add readymade candied fruit mixture, Avoid alcohol.