Chori Lentils (चोरी दाल) is rich in the best sort of fiber – soluble fiber – which helps to eliminate cholesterol from the body. They are a good source of magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc copper, manganese and vitamin B3. They help reduce blood pressure. This curry is very tasty and can be enjoyed with any Indian flat bread.
Regional Dish: Punjab, Delhi, Haryana.
Cuisine Style: Delhi | Cooking Time 30mins | Take it with rice/ roti| Type Dal| Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity : 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (177Kcal), Carbohydrates (28g), Protein (19g), Fat (5g)
Ingredients for boiling beans:
- 7 oz. Red Chori (Aduki Beans), soaked for 2 hours, washed and rinsed.
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 3/4 tsp. turmeric powder (Haldi)
- Spices for Seasoning Beans:
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- 3/4 tsp. Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds (Rai)
- 1 tsp. carom seeds (Ajwain)
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 small pieces of cinnamon
- 1 small finely chopped onion
- 1.5 tsp. finely grated/chopped ginger
- 1 tsp. garlic
- 1 green chilli, Finely chopped
- 2 tsp. corriander & Cumin powder
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1.5 tsp. Lime juice to garnish
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro to garnish
- Add 4 cups of water, beans, salt and turmeric and bring to a boil. Lower heat and cook till beans are soft.
- In a pan heat ghee, add Cloves, Cinnamon bark, then add mustard seeds (wait a little until they pop), Cumin, ajwain & finally Asafoetida.
Add onion, garlic, ginger and green chilies and brown the spice mixture. Stir this mix into the boiled beans.
- Simmer the boiled beans with the spices to blend the flavors, add Lime juice & sugar. Stir.