Chivda ( చివ్డా, சிவ்ட, ചിവ്ട, चिवड़ा ) This snack is Quick and easy, tasty and nutritious snack , all time favorite in all Indian homes.
Chivda is made using various ingredients in different combinations and proportions, some common ingredients used are poha (beaten flat rice), puffed rice, roasted cereals like wheat, rice, corn etc and dry spices. These ingredients are tempered with curry leaves, chilies, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, sesame seeds , fennel seeds, dry coconut, roasted chann dal , nuts , turmeric and salt. Chivda can be stored for months in an air tight jar once cooled. Some popular chivda variations are cornflake chivda, poha chivda, dal chivda, sev chivda , puffed rice chivda etc.
Regional Dish: Andhra; Tamilnadu; Chhattisgarh; Madhya Pradesh; Bihar; Jharkhand; Kerala; Karnataka; North India; South India.
Cuisine Style: Andhra | Preparation Time : 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 20 minutes | Take any time | Type Snacks | Shelf Life : 3 days | Quantity : 7 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional Values : calculated for 1 serving (1cup)
Calories (167 Kcal), Carbohydrates (9.6 g), Protein (2.9 g), Fat (2.94 g).
- Flattened rice (poha), roasted 6 cups
- Oil 3 tablespoons
- Asafoetida a pinch
- Mustard seeds 1/4 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chillies, slit 3
- Curry leaves 10
- Roasted chana dal (dalia) 1/2 cup
- Dry coconut (khopra), thinly sliced 1/4 small
- Salt to taste
- Peanuts (with skin), fried 1/4 cup
1. Heat oil in a kadai.
2. Add asafoetida, mustard seeds and turmeric powder.
3. When the mustard seeds crackle add green chillies and curry leaves and sauté till the curry leaves become crisp.
4. Add roasted chana dal and sauté for a minute.
5. Add dry coconut slices and sauté for another minute.
6. Add flattened rice and mix well.
7. Add salt, fried peanuts and mix well.
8. Cool completely and store in an airtight container
Other variants / Cuisine Style : Chivda with sesame seeds, fennel seeds , Roasted nuts ( cashew, almonds, kishmis ), Sugar , Citric acid