Chikkudukaya Vepudu ( చిక్కుడుకాయ వేపుడు, थाला हुआ सेम ) is a very simple and healthy stir fry that is rich in nutrients and fiber. This curry can be enjoyed with rice or roti.
Regional Dish: Andhra; Kerala; Gujarat; South and some places in North India.
Cuisine Style: Andhra Pradesh | Cooking Time 25 minutes | Take it as side dish | Type Fry | Shelf Life1 day | Servings 4 nos
Appx. Nutritional values for 1 serving:
Calories (59 Kcal), Carbohydrates (18.68 g), Protein (1.98 g), Fat (1.83 g).
- Chikkudukaya /Sem 1/2 kg (cut into small pieces)
- Red chilli 1 broken in to small pieces
- Red chili powder ½ tsp.
- Washed blackgram 1 tsp.
- Jeera/cumin seeds ½ tsp.
- Rai./ mustard seeds ½ tsp.
- Salt as per taste
- Turmeric pwd 1/4 tsp
- Oil 2 Tbsp.
- Clean and cut chikkudukaya in to bite size pieces and boil in enough water in a pan with some salt and turmeric pwd for about 10 mins. Note : the boiled pieces should be soft and retain shape when cooked , avoid over cooking if not the fry becomes mushy).
- Once the chikkudukaya pieces are boiled , strain then and keep a side
- Heat a pan, add oil and to this hot oil add, blackgram cumin, mustard and red chili pieces and fry till they pop.
- Now add the boiled chukkudukaya pieces and fry for about 10 minutes, then add turmeric, red chili powder and salt according to once taste, give a nice mix and fry for 5 more minutes and take it off the stove
- Now the fry is ready to be enjoyed with cooked rice or roti.
Other variations: add cumin and coriander powder , add garlic flakes , add coconut or peanut powder.