Chikkudukaya vepudu (చిక్కుడుకాయ వేపుడు , சிக்குடுகைய பரி, सेम तलना) is taken with rice . It is also known as Indain Broad Bean or Lima Beans. This is a very simple and healthy stir fry that doesn’t need a lot of cooking. Indian Broad bean plant (chikkudu).
Regional Dish : Andhra Pradesh; Tamilnadu; South India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra | Cooking Time 30 min | Take with Side Dish | Type fry | Shelf Life : 1 day | Quantity : 3 Servings
Appx. Nutritional values calcualted for 1 serving:
Calories (41.3Kcals), Carbohydrates (18g), Protein (1g), Fat (1.5g).
- Chikkudukaaya stringed and tear into 1 pieces (par-boil till half-cooked) 1/4 kg
- Onion finely chopped 1 pcs
- Green chillis chop into big pieces 1 pcs
- Chilli pwd 1/2 tsp
- Pinch of turmeric pwd
- Coriander pwd 3/4 tsp
- Jaggery (optional) 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Few fresh curry leaves
- Oil 1 tbsp
1. Heat oil in a cooking vessel, add green chillis, dry red chilli, fresh curry leaves and chopped onions and saute on medium heat for 4-5 mts till the onions turn transparent.
2. Add the chilli pwd, coriander pwd, cumin pwd, methi pwd, turmeric pwd and salt. Combine.
3. Add the half-boiled broad beans and jaggery, combine. Sprinkle approx 5-6 tbsps of water and place lid. Simmer for about 10 mts. It should be a dry saute and not watery. If you find it watery, increase flame and cook till water evaporates.
5. Adjust salt and when the beans are completely cooked, turn off heat and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : Chikkudukaya vepudu (add garlic and coconut) 2. Chikkudukaya vepudu (with split gram flour and coconut), 3. Chikkukaya vepudu with coriander paste,