Cherupayar Thoran ( whole green gram curry)( ചെറുപയര് തോരന്, मुंग की सब्जी, పెసల కూర) This curry is a dry dish made with whole moong which is very rich in proteins. It is enjoyed with rice and other gravy curries. The same curry when prepared with sprouted moong, it is even more nutritious and delicious too.
Regional Dish: Kerala, Tamil Nadu
Cuisine Style: Kerala | Cooking Time 35 mins| Take it with rice/ roti | Type Dal| Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving
Calories (321Kcals), Carbohydrates (41g), Protein (16g), Fat (7.5g).
- 1 cup Whole Green gram dal
- 3 tbsp. Grated coconut
- 2 or 3 Green chilies slit
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- ½ tsp. Mustard seeds
- ½ tsp. Cumin seeds
- 4 to 5 Shallots sliced thin
- 2 Dry red chilies broken in to pieces
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- ¼ tsp. Turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp. pepper powder
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- Pressure cook the green gram with chilies. It should not become mushy, but well-cooked and should hold shape.
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds followed by cumin seeds, red chilies, when they pop.
Add shallots, crushed garlic, curry leaves and sauté for a minute.
- Add turmeric powder, grated coconut, pepper powder and salt and mix well. Finally add the cooked moong and combine well, now our curry is ready.
Variations: Red chili powder, add ginger.