Chekkalu (చెక్కలు, செக்கலு, चावल के आटे के पटाखे) These are one of south indian , specially made in different ways and forms in Andhra for most of the festivals. Chekkalu (Thattai, Nippattu, Rice Crackers) and Ribbon Murukku. There are many variations to prepare chekkalu.
Regional Dish: Andhra Pradesh; Tamilnadu; South India.
Cuisine Style: Andhra Pradesh | Preperation time: 30mts | Cooking time: 30mts | Type snack | Shelf Life: 3 months |Quantity : 5 Servings.
Appx.Nutritional Values : calculated for 1 serving ( 1cup)
Calories ( 392kcal), Carbohydrates 81g , Protein (7g ), Fat (4g ) .
- Rice flour 1 cup
- Water 1 cup
- Red chilli pwd or green chilli paste 3/4 tsp
- Asafoetida/inguva/hing 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp.
- Sesame seeds 2 tbsp.
- Channa dal (soak in water for an hour and drain) 1 1/2 tbsps
- Ghee or butter (optional) 1 tsp
- Roughly torn few curry leaves (optional)
- Oil for deep frying
1. Bring a cup of water to boil. Add salt, red chilli pwd, asafoetida and rice flour and combine. Place lid and turn of heat. Leave aside to cool.
2. Once cool, add cumin seeds,sesame seeds, channa dal and butter to the rice flour mixture and combine well. Test the dough for salt before deep-frying.
3. Heat a wide heavy bottomed vessel with enough oil for deep frying. Take a small lemon sized ball of the dough, place on an oiled plastic sheet or banana leaf and using your fingers shape into a 2″ circle. Use a fork or knife to make small dents all over the chekkalu 4. So that they don’t puff up when deep frying.
5. Once the oil is hot, slowly peel the shaped chekkalu off the plastic sheet and slide into the hot oil. Based on the size of vessel and amount of oil, you can deep fry a batch of 5-8 chekkalu. Don’t crowd the vessel with too many chekkalu. Reduce flame to medium and deep fry the chekkalu to a golden colour.Remember the frying has to be done on medium flame to achieve that golden color and crispness.
6. When the chekkalu turn a golden color use a slotted ladle to remove onto an absorbent paper and cool. Repeat the same process till the rest of the dough is done. Cool completely before storing in an air tight metallic container.
Other variants / Cuisine Style: 1. Pappu chekkalu, masala chekkalu, karam pappallu