Channa Doss / Doce De Grao (चना दोस) It is a Goan Bengal gram sweet that requires very few ingredients but lot of patience and tremendous amount of stirring. This sweet is prepared all through the year in all goan homes. It is the first sweet that is also prepared during Christmas.
Regional Dish: Goa, Maharashtra
Cuisine Style: Goan| Cooking Time 50 mins| Take it as such | Type Sweet| Shelf Life: 1 week if refrigerated| Quantity: 14 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving (1no)
Calories (189.3Kcals), Carbohydrates (18g), Protein (6.3g), Fat (7.5g).
- 1 cup Bengal gram dal ( channa dal)
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. Cardamom powder
- 4 to 5 tbsp. Ghee
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp. broken or whole cashew nuts for garnish
- 2 cups water
- Wash and pressure cook the Gram dal to well-done consistency, then take out the dal and grind the dal and Coconut.
- Once that’s done, add 2 tablespoon of ghee to the vessel and heat it up.
- Add the ground dal and coconut paste and start mixing them.
- Once it’s mixed properly add sugar. Blend the ingredients.
- Now the stirring starts, we have to keep stirring till a thick lump is formed on medium heat
- After stirring for a few minutes it turns slightly brown. At this point add a pinch of salt.
- If it gets difficult to stir, it means you are doing a good job and your Doss will turn out to be perfect.
- Now add the cardamom powder and 2 more tbsp.. of ghee and keep stirring as the ghee makes easier to stir.
- After 25-30 minutes, stirring would become extremely difficult as the mixture solidifies. Then it’s time to remove the doss off the fire.
- Flatten the mixture with a spatula on a greased plate.
- Smooth the edges and cut diamond shape pieces.
Variations: Add coconut milk, Add brown sugar, Add palm jaggery, Add ripe banana pieces.