Channa and vegetable pickle (चना और सब्जी का अचार, చన్న మరియు కూరగాయల ఊరగాయ) a simple North Indian pickle with a Chickpeas in it, this makes the pickle a combination of fresh, spicy, tangy relish. This pickle can be enjoyed with rice , roti, chapathi, kichidi, curd rice.
Regional Dish: North India.
Cuisine Style: Uttar Pradesh | Cooking Time 25 minutes | Take it with rice or roti | Type Pickle | Shelf Life : 10 days if refrigerated.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (50 Kcal), Carbohydrates (10 g), Protein (2.5 g), Fat (4 g).
- 1 cup dry chickpeas/garbanzo beans/channa ( any variety kabuli or desi)
- 4 tbsp. finely chopped carrot
- 4 tbsp. finely chopped mango ginger or fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped green chilies
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh garlic
- 2 tbsp. Salt ( or as needed)
- 2 tbsp. Red chili powder
- 1 tsp. Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. Mustard powder
- ½ tsp. Fenugreek seeds powder ( dry roast seeds , once cooled make powder)
- Oil 4 tbsp.
- 1 cup Lemon Juice
- First give a quick rinse to the dry channa and then dry them with paper or cloth towel.
- Now take a big mixing bowl add the channa, lemon juice, half salt and turmeric powder and set aside to soak.
- In the meantime either chop finely or grate (carrot, ginger, garlic, green chilies) and add it to the bowl that has channa.
- Now add rest of the things, such as chili powder, mustard powder, fenugreek powder, oil and give a nice mix.
- If anything is need more, one can adjust accordingly to once taste.
- Note: to prevent from getting pickle contaminated or spoil, use things free of water. This increases the shelf life.
- Transfer the pickle in to a glass jar and store in a dark place for 2 to 3 days, till the pickle is ready to enjoy.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : Add other vegetables like cauliflower, lotus stem, fresh turmeric pieces , raw mango piece, lemon pieces, beetroot, radish, goose berry, beans, fennel seeds.