Challa Punugulu (చల్ల పునుగులు) These batter deep fry snack item is prepared in Nellore region of Andhra Pradesh. “Challa” means Buttermilk in Telugu and as the batter is prepared using butter milk , it got its name. These are enjoyed as a snack with any sauce or peanut chutney.
Regional Dish: Andhra pradesh
Cuisine Style: Andhra Pradesh| Cooking Time 90 mins | Take it with Chutney | Type Snack| Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity : 8 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (145 Kcal), Carbohydrates (19 g), Protein (1.2g), Fat (8 g).
- Rice Flour 1/4 Cup
- Maida 1/3 Cup
- Chana Dal 2 tbsps
- Yogurt 1/3 Cup
- Onion 1/2
- Cumin Seeds 1/2 tsp
- Green Chile 1
- Curry Leaves 4
- Soda Bi Carb a Pinch
- Salt to Taste
- Oil for Deep Frying
- Soak chana dal in water for around 1 hour and strain the dal.
- Peel and finely chop the onion.Remove stems, wash and finely chop the green chiles. Wash and tear the curry leaves into small pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together rice flour, maida, yogurt and salt.
- Add sufficient water and mix the above mixture into smooth, soft and thick batter.
- Stir in chana dal, onion, green chili, cumin seeds and curry leaves.Heat oil in a heavy deep pan on medium high heat.
- When oil gets hot, carefully drop a small scoop of the mixture into the oil.Repeat till the surface of the oil is filled up.Deep fry till the bonda turns light golden brown in color.
- Carefully remove the yogurt bonda onto a absorbent paper.Repeat the same with any remaining mixture.
Variations: Use White Lentil ( Urad dal )
No comments yet.