Carrot Halwa (गाजर का हल्वा, క్యారట్ హల్వా, காரட் ஹல்வா) One of the great desserts made through out India, Halwa is made by cooking the main ingredient ( vegatable / flour) with milk and ghee for long hours until it comes to the required consistency.Carrot halwa as the color , it is rich in vitamins and minerals. It can be served as such or at the end of a meal , to make it as a delight.
Regional Dish: North India, all over India.
Cuisine Style: North India | Cooking Time 45 Minutes |Take as such or after meals Type Snacks | Shelf Life : 2 days if refrigerated.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 cup:
Calories (185 Kcal), Carbohydrates (31.6 g), Protein (5.3 g), Fat (8.9 g).
- Carrots 1 kg
- Milk 1 1/2 liter
- Sugar 1/2 kg
- Elaichi powder (cardomon) 1tsp
- Saffron strands few
- Ghee 1/2 cup
- Few pieces of roasted cashewnuts , almonds and kismis
1. Wash ,Peel and grate carrots.
2. Put milk and carrots in a heavy saucepan and boil till thick, stirring occassionally.
4. Once it starts thickening, add sugar followed by ghee and cook further . once it starts leaving ghee to the walls of the pan take it off the heat.
6. Add elaichi, saffron and mix well.
7. Garnish with nuts
Other variants / Cuisine Style : Carrot halwa made with sweetened condensed milk ( milkmaid)
Carrot halwa made with Khoya/ mawa/ milk powder.