Caramel Pudding (കാരമേല പുദ്ദിംഗ്, कारमीला पुटीईगा,আঠাল মিঠাই পুডিং, కారమేల్ పుడ్డింగ్) This easy to make pudding is popular all over India. It goes very well with hot coffee.It is mostly prepared during christmas.
Regional Dish : Kerala; Punjab; Bengal; Orissa;
Cuisine Style : Kerala | Cooking Time 40 minutes | Take with hot coffee or as such| Type Sweet | Shelf Life : 2 days if refrigerated.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving ( 1slice): Calories (297 Kcal), Carbohydrates (27.8 g), Protein (3.4 g), Fat (6.7 g).
Ingredients to serve :
For caramel :
- Sugar 1 cup
- Water 1 cup
- Butter 3 tbsp
For custard :
- Milkmaid 1 (14 once) tin
- Milk 3 tins (measure with the milkmaid tin)
- Eggs 3 nos
- Vanilla essence 2 tsp
For making the caramel :
- Boil together water and sugar and bring to the brown colour consistency.
- Once the sugar comes to the boiling level, put the flame off.
- Add butter and mix well.
- Pour it immediately on a baking dish, preferably, a shallow flat dish.
For making the custard :
- Separate the egg yolk and white.
- Beat the egg white to fluffy and keep aside.
- Beat the egg yolk and milkmaid together.
- Add the milk to the egg mixture.
- Beat for another 5 minutes.
- Add the essence and fold in the egg white, do not beat the egg while, just fold it in with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Double boil the mixture, till the custard starts to thicken.
- Pour into the dish in which the caramel has been prepared and kept ready. By now, the caramel will be cool and rock hard.
- Pour some water on the baking tray and put the baking dish into the water.
- Cover the dish with aluminium foil and bake in about 180 degrees for about 30 minutes and reduce to 160 degree about another 20 minutes.
- Once the dish is set, allow it to cool to bring it to room temperature. (refrigerate it).
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Bread Caramel Pudding, 2. Coconut Caramel Pudding.