Cabbage Fry (కోసుకూర వేపుడు, தையற்காரன் பொறி, थाला हुवा पत्तागोबी) A simple, crunchy, dry saute (vepudu/poriyal) is Cabbage fry with the perfect blend of color and taste. A stand-out recipe where cabbage is mildly spiced with red chilli, cumin and coriander powders and garnished with fresh coriander leaves. A very easy preparation as well.
Regional Dish : Andhra; Tamilnadu; Karnataka; South and North India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra | Cooking Time 25 minutes | Take with rice | Type Fry | Shelf Life : 1 day.
Appx. Nutritional values : Calories (479.7 K cal), Carbohydrates (27.1 g), Protein (54.6 g), Fat (18.1 g).
Ingredients to serve :
- Chopped cabbage 3 cups
- Onion very finely chopped 1
- Turmeric pwd 1/4 tsp
- Chilli pwd (adjust) 1 tsp
- Coriander pwd 1/2 tsp
- Big pinch cumin pwd
- Chopped coriander leaves 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil 2-3 tsps
For seasoning/poppu/tadka :
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
- Cloves garlic 2, crushed
- Few fresh curry leaves
- Par-boil cabbage with pinch of turmeric and salt to taste. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a cooking vessel, add the cumin seeds and let them turn brown. Add the garlic and curry leaves and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till transparent. Add chilli pwd, cumin pwd and coriander pwd and combine well.
- Add the par-boiled cabbage and combine. Stir fry for a few more mts till the flavors blend and the cabbage retains a bit of crunch. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with rice and rasam.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : Tamil Nadu cuisine (Cabbage Fry with Peas), Kerala Cuisine (Cabbage stir-fry).