Cabbage Ava kura (క్యాబేజీ ఆవ కూర , गोभी सरसों की करी) is a typical Andhra hindu community recipe, that is been passed and enjoyed from generation to generation.
This way of making cabbage curry add’s heat to the recipe with the strong and pungency of mustard seeds paste.
Regional dish: Andhra Pradesh
Cuisine Style: Andhra Pradesh | Preparation time 20 mins | Type Curry| Take with rice/roti | Shelf life: 2 days if refrigerated | Quantity: 4 Servings.
Appx.Nutritional values: calculated for 1 serving
Calories (55K cals), Carbohydrates (15g), Protein (1g), Fat (1g)
- Cabbage finely shredded 2 cups
- Green chilies 2 chopped in to pieces
- Curry leaves 10 leaves
- Dry red chilies 1 broken in to pieces
- Channa dal 1tbsp
- Urad dal 1tbsp
- Mustard seeds ¼ tsp
- Oil 1 tbsp.
- Tamarind paste 1tbsp
- (paste of 1 tsp of mustard seeds and 1 tsp of sesame seeds with some water)
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder ¼ tsp.
- Cook cabbage with some salt, turmeric and tamarind paste on low heat with covered.
- Keep mixing in between; to prevent from burning the vegetable.
- Once the cabbage becomes soft, cooked but still holding its shape, take it off the heat.
- Now in a big pan add oil, mustard seeds, red chilies, channa dal, urad dal, curry leaves, once they get cooked.
- Add green chili pieces and the cooked cabbage mix well, if needed adjust the salt.
- Once the curry cools add the paste prepared from mustard seeds and sesame seeds and mix well.
- Note: do not add the mustard paste to the hot curry as this will make the curry bitter rather than giving heat of mustard , so once the curry is cooled than mix the mustard paste.
Other variants / Cuisine Style: Add onion, Add green peas